Monday 15 July 2013

wardruna

I cannot stop listening to Wardruna: a Norwegian musical project formed in 2003 with the aim of exploring and evoking the depths of Norse wisdom and spirituality. Yggdrasil is Wardruna's new album, and the second part of a trilogy based on 24 ancient Scandinavian runes known as the Elder Futhark. The group partly record their music outdoors at locations relevant to the different runes, mainly using old and historical instruments such as deer-hide frame drums and bowed lyres. The sound of trees, stones, water and fire are also employed to enhance the nature of the rune being portrayed. When I first listened to Wardruna's music a few months ago, it felt like stepping back in time, like I was being taken on a journey through dark and shadowy forests, snow-capped mountains and thunderous skies. The sound is as powerful as it is unique. I may not understand the words, but perhaps I don't need to - Wardruna's music is so rich, cinematic and evocative, it conjures up a thousand images in my head. Listen to the swooping new single Fehu below. Wardruna will perform at the Southbank Centre in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment