Sunday 27 July 2014

hot july

August is about to dawn and no doubt it'll be just as hectic as July has been, if not even more so. (I'm about go on on a few trips however, so August will be busy in a very pleasant way.) What have I been up to? Well, working. Lots. During the day in the office and then in the evenings and at weekends, preparing my new website (very exciting) and sorting through new batches of cushions and fabrics which I'm currently in the process of launching. Aside from working... The nights have been so warm and balmy recently (not to mention the days), which has meant we've been able to make good use of the balcony at home; eating our supper out there or sitting quietly amongst the ferns with a book. Or both at the same time.

A flashback to our holiday in Umbria last September. Can you tell that I Photoshopped in the dachshund? (Ho ho.) You see, I really want a dachshund. Hockney and Picasso had dachshunds, didn't you know? Anyway I wanted to see how we'd look together, myself and my future pup...

A couple of weekends ago we paid a visit to Tate Britain, with the idea of catching the wonderful new British Folk Art exhibition. You must go; it's a total riot of colour and craft and tradition. We drifted through the rest of the gallery for an hour so afterwards; it's a favourite place of mine to spend an afternoon and I love the way the art has been hung.

The black and white tiles at the top of the main staircase lead down to the Rex Whister Restaurant, which was once described as 'the most amusing room in Europe’ owing to its specially commissioned mural.

A quick sketch. We keep dreaming of stumbling upon a perfect little folly in the countryside (I'm talking Wiltshire or Somerset ideally), in the grounds of a sprawling estate, which we could take and rent on a long lease. I'm on the lookout. Maybe in a few years' time? We could drive down on Friday evenings (in our custard yellow E-Type, perhaps?) with a car full of supplies - wine and flowers and friends. That really is the dream...

D.'s not a massive fan of sunflowers, but I can't get enough of them. They're so big and brash, as bold as brass. That yellow is pure summer. We've had bunches of them all over the house recently. Admittedly this is a particularly strange vase of flowers, but I just keep thinking: arrange fearlessly.

Talking of yellow, here's one of my new embroidered cushions! Available to buy online and in store at Pentreath & Hall.

We were in Hampshire visiting my family last weekend. On Sunday we dropped by Highclere Castle on the way back to London. It was very impressive from the outside - all towers and flags and arches, gold and shimmering in its Jacobethan grandeur. Although it did seem a little smaller and darker inside than I'd imagined it would be. I'm glad we got to see it.

Back to my colour of the moment and a new pair of suede driving shoes. Primarily for use in Italy I reckon - we're off to the Amalfi Coast next weekend and I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment